Thursday, December 30, 2010

Harbor Flight

Harbor FLight___24x18 oil on linen___for Southeastern Wildlife Exposition, unless you want it first
I have been in the studio this week, preparing for upcoming shows and travels. The Southeastern Wildlife Exposition is in Charleston, SC each year and I am almost finished preparing for it. This one is actually a "study" for a larger canvas I am working on...I like working out problems in paint. When I finish the study, I usually "wish there was more"....all the time spent "in the scene" FINALLY comes together at the end and it's hard to "put down the brush" (If you are an artist, you KNOW......this is why we sometimes OVERWORK a painting). Rather than overworking, I prefer to just do another one, to "FINISH" the mood! It's sort of like reading a good book or getting engrossed in a good movie. Just when you get into the story and the characters, the movie ends!....This painting has not "ended" for me, yet....there will be a sequel! :) HAPPY NEW YEAR!

oat

8 comments:

Susan Roux said...

Love your composition! The light twinkling through it is playful and inviting. Lovely painting. Hard to believe it's just your study.

Don Gray said...

How beautiful, Virginia.

Happy New Year!

Rick Nilson said...

this piece is really stunning. wonderful work you do.

Stephanie Berry said...

Lovely paintings V....I especially love your Bluebonnets 2. Blessings to you and yours this 2011.

m.s.g. said...

I don't often have the chance to post comments and such, but didn't want to miss the opportunity to tell you what an elegant painting this is. The value changes on the boats, is divine! I can hear the shore birds, and "see" the breeze move through the cattails and reeds. Such an evocative piece, Virginia. The very best to you, for this next exhibit, and for 2011.
Michelle

Linda Pena said...

Beautiful work. Can't wait to see it framed. This painting makes me miss the beach! Awesome!

V....Vaughan said...

Thank you for the really nice comments bout the boat painting! I will really appreciate a comparison comment when I post the next painting that is really similar! Would love to know which one you think is "better"...so keep a lookout for it! :) Happy New Year!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Love it Love it. Even as a thumbnail on another site it screamed out...."I am a great painting!!!"
I heard it...really ;)