Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Duck Creek Lightning Night

Duck Creek Lightnings__24x30 oil on linen__a commission
I have a commission to paint a ranch in Nebraska. I have been there several times, most recently in June (Tina was my travel buddy)...The very first day there, we had the ranch to ourselves, so we tromped around with the help of some "wheels" they provided...This place is situated on the Platte River, and there were miles of wild places to explore. My FAVORITE impression happened as we pulled away at dusk, and I tried to capture it here. Storms were approaching from the west, with thunderheads building, and I am just sure I saw some distant lightning.  In the wetlands were DOZENS of "lightning bugs" and they seemed to be blinking replies to the lightning in the clouds....
_______________________

Here are some locations for a few of my workshops. email me if you want more info on any of these...
And here is a link to a SPECIAL ONE.
I can't wait to see the water go down the drain BACKWARDS there!
July-August ___weekly__Austin___ "Chocolates and Chiaroscuro" 
Sept. 15, 2012___Salado TX
2013___New York City, Colorado, Massachusetts, Michigan, Pennsylvania...
2014___February 23-March 1___New Zealand

**BE SURE to tell me if you sign up! I like to send things to my students to get them ready, keep them "seeing", and thinking, and talking about it!

2 comments:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

What a beautiful painting, Virginia.... wonderful color and mood and composition... and those FIREFLIES are the icing on the cake!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

you nailed this with the lightening bugs. Wow!