Wednesday, February 25, 2009

On the Corner__8 x 6

"On the Corner"___8 x 6 oil on linen panel___a workshop demo for $100
On Saturday I was in Calvert, TX, working with 7 artists all day.
This was a really good group, with a lot of art skill. Earlier in the week I posted the sunrise and sunset demos. We also did a Chicken Clinic (with REALLY NICE CHICKENS that spent the day in the storefront window at Mud Creek Pottery...thank you, Sonny!).
Late in the afternoon I was explaining something about the value of color and there, out the window, was this little scene. The shadow side of the yellow awning is the same value as its purple cast shadow on the wall. It was easier to "show" than to "tell" so that all would understand...The painting is not a super composition, but the lesson was well understood! (If I were to make a larger work from this, I might put a sign on the wall which falls half in light, half in shadow....what do you think?
Check out my workshop schedule and new front page at my web site, v-vaughan.com






No comments: