Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Jake Tatum_______a commission


"Jake Tatum"____16 x 20 oil on stretched linen_______A Comission for Till
A few weeks ago I posted the "block-in" of "Jake"...here is the finish! I hope you like it, Till...what a great time I had painting Mr. Jake! This painting is much biger than my usual commission, so I enjoyed getting to "sprawl" across the canvas :)
Tomorrow is another road trip for me, as I get to deliver Jake to the Dallas area. I plan to go see the Impressionists exhibit from the Chicago Museum at the Kimbell Museum in Fort Worth and see my neice, Chanelle, again...looking forward to a geat day!

11 comments:

Mark Adams said...

V, This is one of the nicest animal portraits I have ever seen. The warn tones, the relaxed, crossed paws, Jake's gaze across the picture plane...perfection!!

Have fun in fort Worth. I envy you, the Kimbell is a great museum.

Roxanne Steed said...

ohhhh - what an 'old soul' honest face...it is just filled with love!

Deb Kirkeeide said...

This is a beautiful painting.

Caren said...

Virginia, What a beautiful portrait! I love the warmth of this painting. You really can do it all.

Liza Hirst said...

Wonderful painting! Lovely dog!

Rhonda Hurwitz said...

fantastic painting...love the expression on the dog, the lighting, and the legs crossed is just too cute.

Anonymous said...

beautiful! this color palette works for you!!

Karen Hargett said...

I keep coming back to look at this one Virginia - it's captured my heart for sure.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Best dog portrait I ever saw. Amen.

JacMac said...

I agree with the other posts...this is the finest portrait I have seen online of a dog. Really lovely coloring and brush work. The family who commissioned the piece are receiving a lovely tribute to their pet.

V....Vaughan said...

I thank everyone for the best comments I have ever had...it has made me look hard at the painting to see what I did "right"...I usually contact people directly to say thanks, but there are some whose e-mail address was not accessible from the "comment form". PLEASE stay in touch!!
V....Vaughan