Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Grapes in Florence__14 x 11 oil on linen

"Grapes in Florence"__14 x 11 oil on linen
Everyone knows that Florence is in TEXAS! But not everyone knows there is a beautiful vineyard there!. I painted at The Vineyard, today, with a buddy artist and here's what happened....They are just about to harvest these little beauties.
I shared this painting thought with someone in my workshop lately, and it came to me, again today:

Approach your painting time with NO idea in mind about HOW it ought to look….
Any thought you have about what it ought to look like is just you IMAGINING SOMEONE ELSE’S PAINTING, anyway…”grown ups” tend to do this more than youngsters, because we KNOW good art when we see it. The reason why we WANT to create is because something impressed us “out there” and we want to do it, too! ….after a lot of brush miles, good complements, and helpful critique (even if unwanted, it’s ALL helpful), we become our own artist. And it is THEN that we can approach a painting with an idea in mind….So, I no longer think of my teachers…like “How would Kevin paint this”…or “….Rick Howell”….well, I STILL wonder how Rick would paint it..!
...any comment?

No comments: