Tuesday, June 03, 2008

3 of 24_Last Day...click to bid

















"3 0f 24_Last Day on the Farm"__Round Ones__oil on fine linen panel___click to bid
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140238009191

Click image to see large version and detail.

From May until November last year, we had record rains, and yet there were no farmers to cut or bale the hay, because our farming had come to an end. The other families had left the farm, but my family stayed on as we searched for a new home someplace. I painted every day, and saw the farm "going away slowly"...the cows left in January...the egrets disappeared from the landscape, the hay grew and grew, and weeds began to choke the place. The hand of the farmer was gone, and the countenance of the place really suffered. By August, you could hear the constant drone of bugs in the brush, well watered and sheltered by the tall grasses. At least they symbolized "life"...and then, one day, some new cows appeared! Another farmer had leased the place for his herd! With the cows came the cutting of new hay...these are the bales that bring life back to this old empty farm!

2 comments:

Alanda said...

The description makes me feel like a witness. There is life again! =)

Roxanne Steed said...

I think I recognize this tree! These hay bales are in the field now, in the painting I bought there are cows in this field...I keep looking from my computer screen (this pic) to the painting of yours on my wall...OMG- I'm wondering if this is the same field as "First to Spring"? I have so enjoyed this series of your work! Cheers from, Roxanne Steed