Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Mock vs. Hawk

Mock vs. Hawk__6x6 oil on linen panel__painted for Sewe
I combined a few photos I took at the farm. Hawks were always flying over the fields and I loved to watch them and hear them scream. This day, a hawk was on a fence post and the mockingbird must have had a nest nearby. She could not tolerate the big hawk, and pestered it till it flew away, giving chase and nipping at tail feathers. I saw hawks carry big field rats and rip them to shreds, but for some reason, they never took on the mockingbirds!
vvaughan8@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Linda Popple said...

What a great painting. I've seen mockingbirds chase cats - big cats! For such small creatures they are really feisty. You have captured that feistiness! I can almost hear the mockingbird screaming at the hawk!