Friday, August 13, 2010

San Pedro From the Back_church, sketch, New Mexico, southwest


San Pedro y San Rafael from the Back__#18 from my Colorado sketchbook...auction soon!
At this great location, we spent the whole morning painting, sketching, photographing and running for cover from lightning and hail! It was a BEAUTIFUL morning! Only a plein air painter will call hail "beautiful"....I LOVE this church!...Not just because it carries my name ("PEDRO" is my maiden name), but because it reflects the culture of this area of Colorado...so close to New Mexico....also, after the rain and hail cleared out, the southwestern sunshine makes crisp edges of light on the building, and hard shadow edges in the clear, dry air....
I am building the page for displaying all 30 sketches in my Colorado sketchbook. I have decided to have an auction, to sell the entire sketchbook...complete with my field notes. I have never really finished a WHOLE sketchbook before...usually halfway through I begin using pages to tear out for grocery lists or brainstorm lists......Even in this book I couldn't help myself, though I tried HARD! ...There are notes and lists inside the front cover ...I wrote them lightly, so that they can be erased if someone hates them :)

3 comments:

Stephanie Berry said...

You do such a great job sketching. The values in this one are super.

Lisa Daria said...

Beautiful, beautiful drawing and although you've done it in black and white, the values are done so well, I can imagine this in color - BEAUTIFUL!

Caroline Peña Bray said...

This is a fantastic drawing! I love the contrast betwen the relatively sparse lines of the church and the full, energetic marks in the background. Just fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing more from you!