Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Phone Call_sketch, girl on phone, woman

"Phone Call"__from my sketchbook
It all starts with sketching. Want to be a good painter? Start sketching! Want to sculpt? Begin by sketching! Put away the camera for a few minutes and pick up a pencil or a brush. (I know some of my pals are rolling their eyes at me, because I ALWAYS have a camera or two (three if you count the phone) in my purse. I am a happy snapper, BUT, I am a voracious sketcher, too. Doing a sketch is EXPERIENCING the subject...your eye has to fall on each part, you MUST make judgments about every detail compared to every OTHER detail, and you become FAMILIAR...whereas SHOOTING it is a fleeting moment and your eye approaches the subject as a WHOLE. Heck, I rarely focus my eyes when shooting, preferring to see the whole composition....sketching frequently will make you a better artist....more on the subject tomorrow...
JOIN ME at one of these events in October:
THIS Saturday, Oct. 24 in Waxahachie, TX at the Texas Country Reporter Festival ...then ,
Oct 25, I will be in Gruene, at the first annual Bovine Art Festival, painting on location at Cactus Jacks.
Oct. 31 All Day Workshop with Austin's PACT. Limit 20 students email me for details vvaughan8@yahoo.comMark your long range calendar to take a break from the winter cold!
Come to my FEB 5 - 7 , Workshop in Texas at Fredericksburg Artists School...sunrise to moonrise...
painting fast

No comments: