Saturday, May 29, 2010

Moonrise By the Vulture

Moonrise by the Vulture___10x8 oil on linen panel___$270

Near Wickenburg, AZ is a mountain called Vulture Peak. I went out there at sunset/moonrise with my pal Monica while I visited Arizona. I mentioned this in the sunset blog post a few days ago...her pals had a little party on the trail and enjoyed wine and chocolate. No one seemed to know where the moon would rise, and I was afraid they miscalculated and it would rise behind the mountain. It would take too long to clear the mountain that way, and by then the sky would be too dark and I'd not have been able to paint it...so I hopped in my truck and drove down the road where I could paint it...when I came back to the group, I saw that the moon had risen BETWEEN the mountains in a perect place to paint. Ah well, I painted it between the saguaros above :)

1 comment:

Stephanie Berry said...

This is great! I love the cactus scenes--something that will never grow here in Maine. Like the way you caught the light.