Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Above Rio Chama_9 x 12 oil

"Above Rio Chama"___9 x 12 oil on linen panel__Collaboration with Doug Higgins

I joined artist friend Pat Haberman on an excursion to meet a couple of friends near Abiquiu to paint. Turns out, it was a class that we crashed, and Doug Higgins was doing a demo and teaching. The demo was amazing. Here is an artist who has been at it for many decades, has worked with the BEST, and has taught some of the best artists...he has an AMAZING web site full of several lifetimes of teaching (and an amazing life)...CLICK to see!... Doug wandered by while I painted, so I nagged him for input. I learn (and teach!) better by showing rather than telling and I asked him to SHOW me about simplifying and unifying forms in the middle ground, while still depicting the distance we were seeing. I handed him the brush and he basically FINISHED this painting...He never touched the sky, so I signed it, but I made him sign the bottom part...what a neat man with a WEALTH of info. If you live near Santa Fe, you'd be smart to get into his classes!

No comments: