Thursday, July 30, 2009

Night Canyon_6 x 8 oil

"Night Canyon"__6 x 8 oil on linen, a study for a bigger one__$250 when ready
The canyon walls were lit up by moonlight (a half moon) for a few minutes and I took notes (below). You cannot stand outside at night in the midst of the mountains and not "feel" God. A note came to my mind from the book of Psalms (90:2)...look it up when you have a chance!
Oddly enough, I went out last night, hoping to see the same type of thing on the mountain, but even though there was a little bit more moon, the mountain did not glow like it did the night before. So before I forgot what I saw, I painted this one from memory and the notes. Tonight I will go out again, and try to figure this thing out! ....then I will teach it at a workshop, no doubt!

"Notes for Night Canyon".....v....vaughan

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

love this one with the fire in the night!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

forgot to say how much I love the notes. I find those kinds of observations still evoke the scene many years later. I haven't been in the habit of keeping sketchbooks but the ones that I do have are likewise noted.